Home Security Preparedness
- Safety Preparedness involves constant awareness of our surroundings.
- Nationwide there are home burglary crimes that have a common element. Those are burglaries that involve criminals who pose as door to door salespeople in order to “case” homes for vacancy. If a home is found to be vacant, that is a target for immediate burglary.
- There are also cases when a home resident answers such a knock, and he criminals have immediately invaded the home, held the residents hostage, and engaged in burglary.
- Be aware that in Poway, door to door sales people MUST have a license issued by Poway in order to legally engage in door to door sales. That applies to any sales person, be they a solar installation offeror, or a magazine subscription salesperson.
- There are proven measures you should take to never fall for the above mentioned criminal trick.
- You should never have any home entrance unlocked even when you are home, with exception when you are in the yard, and then only leave open the nearest entrance you can monitor.
- When you hear a door knock you are not expecting, you should determine who the person is who is knocking, without opening the door.
- You should NEVER open your door to an unknown person.
- Always identify the person through a window or door peephole.
- If the person is unknown to you, demand the reason for the visit with the door CLOSED, and if a supposed sales person, DEMAND to see the Poway license that allows them to engage in door to door sales.
- If you see someone representing themselves as door-to-door salespeople and they do not show you a Poway license to engage in door to door sales, dismiss them. Do not open the door.
- If you are suspicious of the persons demeanor, call the Sheriff and ask for a deputy to check the area. As best as possible, give a description of the suspicious person, any vehicle they may be operating, and any other pertinent information.
BE SAFE OUT THERE.
Courtesy of Charlie Ristorcelli, NN3V
*** Terrorism Preparation ***
Below are some maps to introduce you to our network of neighborhood communications. Click the link above each map to open it in a new window.
This map will show you how we have divided the City of Poway into zones for more organized communication between neighbors. Which neighborhood are you in?
This map shows the certified amateur HAM radio operators in each neighborhood. Does your neighborhood have a HAM operator? If not, be sure to check out our events for the next certification class and it could be you!